Thank you to everyone who supported Saint John School with our 2023 Luxury Raffle
Your kindness and generosity in purchasing tickets has yielded a donation of $155,000.00 for our school.
CONGRATULATIONS TO THE 2023 LUXURY RAFFLE WINNERS:
Joseph Caseli - 2023 Corvette Stingray Coupe
Frank Donnantuano - $10,000 Visa Gift Card
John O. Baker - $2,500 Grocery Gift Card
Joan Durham - $2,000 Gas Card
Welcome to the St John School Website. Catholic schools stand out from other educational institutions and the St John School is no exception. We serve grades PreK3-Grade 8. All of our students are taught about the Catholic faith – not just the basics of Christianity, but how to have a relationship with God. St John students are held to the highest of standards, each child is inspired to reach his or her potential. Lastly, our students learn the importance of service, the giving of one’s time and effort to help others.
As the Principal of the St John School, I promise that your child will be in a safe, faith based learning environment that emphasizes Gospel values. Our amazing faculty and staff are dedicated to each child's academic success and spiritual growth.
I encourage you to call to schedule a tour of our school and to see firsthand our faith filled learning milieu. I look forward to hearing from you!
God Bless You
Mother Elaine, SCMC, Principal
The mission of St. John Catholic School is to provide an opportunity for students, parents, and staff to foster a deeper relationship with Jesus Christ. Infused with our faith, we strive to provide challenging academic programs in which dedicated, professional educators and families work together in a safe environment to inspire individual growth, self-discipline, confidence and Christian service.
Our shared efforts are directed toward creating an environment rich in opportunities to prepare our students spiritually, intellectually, socially, and emotionally for the future.
We are proud that both parents and students consider our school a great place to learn and we partner together in the words of our motto, to "educate the whole child." We invite you to be part of our school community where Jesus is the core.
From the Principal December 6, 2023
Feast Day of Saint Nicholas
(Past newsletters are posted on the website under “quick links”)
· A Special Thank You to Michael & Angela Arnold for all the work they did coordinating the Luxury Raffle. Aided with their team of volunteers, the 2023 raffle was a success in raising $155,000.00 for Saint John School. Thank you.
Thank you also to the Knights of Columbus and volunteers for the Spaghetti Dinner prior to the drawing.
· Before & After Care Help Needed – We are in need of temporary help to assist with our Before Care program (7 – 8:45 am) and our After Care program (2:45 – 5:30 pm). This paid position would require completing the Safe Environments training. If you are interested in either or both of these openings and earning some extra money, please contact the front office.
· Report Cards were issued Friday, December 1. Report cards need to be signed by parents and returned to your child’s homeroom teacher by Friday, December 8.
· THE IMMACULATE CONCEPTION OF THE BLESSED VIRGIN MARY HOLY DAY MASS SCHEDULE - Friday, December 8, 2023 at 9:15 am at Saint John Church, 161 Main Street, Old Saybrook.
Families are welcome to join Saint John School students at this 9:15 am Mass. Our second graders are sponsoring the Mass.
· Torch Light Parade – Saturday, December 9 – 6 pm Saint John School is walking in the Torch Light Parade this Saturday.
Saint John School's presence in the parade serves as a reminder to all attending what the true meaning of the season is. We ask that you please consider marching with your child with St. John School. Saturday's predicted weather is clear skies.
We muster no later than 5:45 pm by Liberty Bank, 90 Main Street, Old Saybrook, CT. Please look for the Knights of Columbus Float with a manger scene on the trailer.
Once we reach St. John Church we'll leave the parade and gather on the steps of the church. Our students and Schola members will sing Christmas Carols from the steps of St. John Church. Hot cocoa and cookies are being served to our students and parents. Please email the church if you are interested in participating so we can prepare for our refresments.
· Lessons and Carols – Thursday, December 21 – 6:30 pm at Saint Mark Church, 222 McVeigh Rd, Westbrook, CT.
Lessons and Carols is Saint John School's annual Advent performance. It is a unique and special way to remember the true meaning of the Advent and Christmas season.
This year Lessons and Carols takes place at St. Mark's Church in Westbrook. Students are to arrive no later than 6:15 pm and will sit with their class. Please reach out to your child's teacher with any questions you may have.
Girls: White top/black appropriate length skirt or pants.
Boys: White shirt, red tie, black pants.
· Art Class – Sister Gabriel is looking for the donation of empty oatmeal boxes with lids. Oatmeal boxes are being used for making drums.
· Small World Gift Shop is coming December 14 – 22. This is an opportunity for students to purchase gifts for family members for Christmas. More details to come.
· Safe Environments – Just a reminder volunteers working with children need to be Safe Environment approved by the Diocese of Norwich. Please contact to the office to begin the process of training. Once you are approved to volunteer it is effective through the years so long as you are involved with St. John School. An occasional refresher course and Mandated Reporter recertification needs to be completed every few years.
· SMS (Text) Messaging is here! Our goal is to use this for emergency notifications, weather delays or cancellation of school. Click here for early opt-in instructions
· Walk Around Wednesdays! If you know anyone who is interested in visiting our school please have them register here (seelink).
Pray With Mother
Upcoming Events - Save the Date
Friday, December 8 – Immaculate Conception Mass
Saturday, December 9 – Torch Light Parade
Thursday – Friday, December 14-22 – Small World Gift Shop
Thursday, December 21 – Lessons and Carols at St. Mark Church
Parent Teacher Organization
PTO E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org