St. John School campus is currently closed due to COVID-19 virus. It has implemented it's distance learning program until further notice. Please call school office at 860-388-0849 for admissions inquiries.
Teacher, Mrs. Patty Hurlbert
“Music enhances the education of our children by helping them to make connections and broadening the depth with which they think and feel. If we are to hope for a society of culturally literate people, music must be a vital part of our children's education.”
~Yo Yo Ma
Welcome to Music at Saint John School!
Music encompasses so many subjects ~ History, Science, English, and Math! Musical concepts are incorporated into each class:
- Melody, Harmony, Rhythm, Dynamics, and Tone Color.
Vocal exploration through singing, pitch awareness, melodic phrasing, and singing to a variety of folk songs to contemporary.
Two concerts are given by Grades PreK - Grade 8 each academic year : A Christmas and Spring Production.
In the Classroom~
PreK through Grade 2
Music is taught with the young child-in-motion in mind. Singing, rhythm instruments, parachute, scarves, other props and games motivate and develop music in the young child.
- Solfege, scale pitches: mi -sol - la
- Exploring high’s, mid’s and low’s.
- Rhythm vs Beat, Patterns
Grades 3 through 5
- Singing, adding a descant, canons, partner songs.
- Simple melodic and rhythmic compositions are created by the student using solfege and rhythms, including: ta, ti-ti, tika-tika.
- Composition for rhythm instruments, xylophones, and bells reinforce the concepts.
- American ballads, folk songs (including folk songs from around the world), African-American history.
Grades 3 and 4 learn the Recorder in preparation for a band instrument.
Grades 6 through 8
- Singing, Introduction to ukulele, bucket drumming, and rhythm cup games are fun!
- Music theory includes: treble staff notes, note values, intervals.
- Compositions; including jingles, story background music, and more.
- Music history (time periods, classical and contemporary composers) ~listening for instrumentation, dynamics, tone color, and style. Black History Month: Roots of America’s Music.