Music - Mrs. DiRocco
Welcome to Music at Saint John School!
Music encompasses so many subjects ~ History, Science, English, and Math! Musical concepts are incorporated into each class:
- Melody, Harmony, Rhythm, Dynamics, and Tone Color.
Vocal exploration through singing, pitch awareness, melodic phrasing, and singing to a variety of folk songs to contemporary.
Two concerts are given by Grades PreK - Grade 8 each academic year : A Christmas and Spring Production.
In the Classroom~
PreK through Grade 2
Music is taught with the young child-in-motion in mind. Singing, rhythm instruments, parachute, scarves, other props and games motivate and develop music in the young child.
- Solfege, scale pitches: mi -sol - la
- Exploring high’s, mid’s and low’s.
- Rhythm vs Beat, Patterns
Grades 3 through 5
- Singing, adding a descant, canons, partner songs.
- Simple melodic and rhythmic compositions are created by the student using solfege and rhythms, including: ta, ti-ti, tika-tika.
- Composition for rhythm instruments, xylophones, and bells reinforce the concepts.
- American ballads, folk songs (including folk songs from around the world), African-American history.
Grades 3 and 4 learn the Recorder in preparation for a band instrument.
Grades 6 through 8
- Singing, Introduction to ukulele, bucket drumming, and rhythm cup games are fun!
- Music theory includes: treble staff notes, note values, intervals.
- Compositions; including jingles, story background music, and more.
- Music history (time periods, classical and contemporary composers) ~listening for instrumentation, dynamics, tone color, and style. Black History Month: Roots of America’s Music.